The Santa Cruz Jewish Genealogy Society is a non-profit volunteer organization established in 2021. SCJGS is a member of the IAJGS, the International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies affiliated with over eighty other Jewish genealogical societies. Anyone interested in Jewish genealogy is welcome to become a member regardless of skill level or geographic location . We encourage our members to volunteer their skills and time to sustain and improve the organization.
The objectives of the SCJGS are:
- Host monthly presentation by excellent speakers and professional genealogists.
- To share and increase awareness of genealogical information, techniques, and research tools with people interested in Jewish genealogy and family history.
- To promote interest and personal engagement in genealogical research.
- To provide instruction in research methodology, the utilization of resources and adherence to high standards of accuracy and thoroughness.
- To foster careful documentation and scholarly genealogical writing and publication.
- To promote the preservation of genealogical records and resources.
- To hold meetings for the instruction and education of its members and the general public.
- To build a member community, provide a forum.”genichat”, for member discussion and provide hands-on mentoring, and brick-wall discussions and assistance.
October 23, 2022, 11am Pacific Time Zone
Speaker: Dr. Leon Gershovich, PhD
Jews of Belarus: History and Culture
November 20, 2022, 1pm Pacific Time Zone
Speaker: Yefim Kogan
Advance Your Research in Bessarabia (Former Russian Empire, Moldova, Romania & Parts of Ukraine)
December 18, 2022, 1pm Pacific Time Zone
Speakers: David Feldman and Paul Zoglin
Jewish Genealogical Records for Ancestral Towns in Belarus